Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Education Maintenance

Reading Pirsig’s Zen has thus far been an interesting ride—so to speak.  I cannot say I love everything I’m reading or agree with the choices being made during the cross-country journey, but like the use of the motorcycle metaphor.  It took me a little while to figure out just how the ideas being portrayed are applicable to our English seminar class, but I am gradually drawing more and more parallels as I turn the pages.  I see the constant maintenance and upkeep of the motorcycle while our central figures trudge across the map as a commentary of our education—which is by no means limited to the confines of the four-ish official years we are serving at MSU.  We are constantly changing, updating, fixing, and adding to our educations in an effort to fit our personal, academic, and even professional environments as they change over and over.  Much like the road trip of this book, the climate is constantly changing and we must adapt.  This was one of the main points I’ve taken from Zen so far.
            I like the assertion that the figure of time is blurred by our thoughts, and, finding that Zen is comes with an ease of mind where time seems to stand still.  The motorcycle journey is no typical road trip.  Because these sorts of travelers are of the great outdoors, the text reads, they tend to start, “thinking about things at great leisure and length without being hurried and without feeling [they’re] losing time” (15).  The meditative qualities of Zen are worth reflection, because really how often do we sit and concentrate on our thoughts without the distraction of friends, family, school, work, television, etc.?  Maybe right before bed when all is silent, but even then I feel like we are fighting our thoughts back so we can fall asleep.  I doubt I will ever ride a motorcycle for hundreds of miles to find this peace, but it seems like it would be pretty effective.
            I feel like the narrator often takes his thoughts a little too far, as though he’s drunk on his Zen.  In reading the text, I found myself starting to agree with what is being explained, but it seems to stray a little too far or become too abstract at a number of turns for me to say I’m fully on board.  For example, the narrator tells us that laws of nature are human inventions.  How he explains this makes sense, but then he goes on to say, “the world has no existence whatsoever outside the human imagination” (42).  I have a hard time with this statement and others like it.  This is to say there is no world without human beings, and the world as we know it only exists in our imagination.  I understand that enough, but I cannot shake the idea the physical world came before people did.  I know the world he speaks of is more cerebral, but I have trouble separating the two.  I think much more straightforward.  There is a world without us, but we are not there to interpret it.  The whole tree falls in a forest idea seems to come into play.  It makes a sound.  The world goes on without us.  Clearly I’m having trouble with some of Zen’s ideas.
            I had to read over the Phaedrus and laser beam stuff a few times to understand its insertion into the text.  I’m still not sure I totally get it, but I came up with my own understanding for conversation’s sake.  The text reads, “Phaedrus did not try to use his brilliance for general illumination.  He sought one specific distant target and aimed for it and hit it.  And that was all” (87).  I roughly compared Phaedrus’ general illumination to our educations as students, and the focus of the laser beam to our areas of academic concentration—writing for the majority of us.  Even that is not quite as focused as I believe Phaedrus’ target to be.  I think that focus will come after graduation when we find jobs or make other goals to further implement our training in different areas.  One might become a professor, another a short fiction writer, another a columnist, and another a service operator with a great vocabulary.  This is something that truly only time will tell.

            Because graduation is coming up, we as students are starting to consider what’s next.  We all have our dream jobs in mind (hopefully), but it’s highly likely we’ll have to start from the ground up and work toward our endgames.  Here’s a short article on what some writers are doing in the real world, whether it is there dream position or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment